Skip to main content

Willing to accept Congress’s demand on GST: Jaitley

Willing to accept Congress’s demand on GST: Jaitley

 Finance Minister Arun Jaitley: GST, if not today, tomorrow it has to be approved, we are just going through the agony prior to the passage of the Bill. -- File photo

Congress has been stalling passage of the GST Bill over its demand for a simple Goods & Services Tax (GST) regime where states do not have powers to levy additional tax over an 18 per cent tax rate that forms part of the Constitutional Amendment Bill.
Speaking at an industry meet on GST, he said the one per cent additional tax on inter-state sales was proposed as manufacturing states like Gujarat and Tamil Nadu were of the opinion that they, having spent money on putting up infrastructure, would lose on revenue as GST is more of a destination tax.
“I have told my friends in Parliament that I am ready to go back to those manufacturing states and tell them that we have guaranteed you to make good for all the loss suffered in the first five years. So this one per cent additional levy issue is resolvable,” he said.
GST is to subsume all indirect taxes like excise duty, sales tax and service tax. In the new regime, there will be one Central GST or C-GST and State GST or S-GST

Currently, states levy sales tax or VAT on goods sold within their state and they get a Central Sales Tax (CST) on sales made outside their territories.
This CST will no longer be available in the new regime and a one per cent additional tax was proposed to make up for it.
On the other condition that 18 per cent tax should be put in the Constitution Bill, he said, “Are tariffs part of Constitution? Can tariffs ever be cast in stone?”
“Suppose there is a drought or a flood in 10 states and for one week you need to raise the tariffs, are you then going to amend the Constitution?,” he asked.
“GST is an idea which I have no doubt that, if not today, tomorrow it has to be approved, we are just going through the agony prior to the passage of the Bill,” Mr. Jaitley said.
The rate of taxation, he said, will be decided by the GST Council. “After all, states and the Centre are surrendering their rights to the GST Council. The GST Council will decide the rate,” the Finance Minister said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review

For most of the reviews here at Gadgets 360, we use the mobile in question as our primary phone for about a week or so before sharing our verdict with you. We realise this isn't perfect, since there are some aspects of the device that don't become obvious during that time, and in an ideal world, we'd use every phone for a couple of months before we publish our review. But we work under constraints where most devices aren't available to us for that long - almost all products that we review are loaned to us by companies for short durations - and there's also the competitive pressure of wanting to get your review out before others do, as long as it doesn't involve cutting any corners. With the launch of iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in India, Apple offered to loan the two new iPhones to Gadgets 360 - and indeed other publications - for more than the typical timeframe of a few days. The India iPhone launch of course came a few we...

Modern garden with upcycling plastic bottles

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have made these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies at least 20 times now. Not exaggerating. I first made these when we were in the Philippines, when it was a struggle to just keep butter solid for 2 seconds on the counter, and they were absolutely incredible. I had no idea how or why, but they just WORKED. And they blew my mind in the way only a perfect chocolate chip cookie really can. But then every once in a while, they didn’t work. I’m not always super exact with my baking, but still. They were not thick and chewy and buttery like the perfect cookie should be. Some of your comments said the same things – most of the time they worked, but sometimes they didn’t. And I don’t like that. Now I’m back home in dry, cool Minnesota and I have been waiting for this day just so I could figure out what would really make these cookies awesome for you. You who live in normal climates and shop at Cub Foods. I am now speaking your cookie-baking language. Since I’m re...