Skip to main content

Help promote education in India: President Pranab Mukherjee



President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday exhorted Google CEO Sundar Pichai, along with a range of business leaders, which included Kunal Bahl, CEO, Snapdeal; and Sunil Munjal, joint managing director, Hero Motor Corp; to use technology and promote education. 

At an event at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday, which came at the fag end of Mr.Pichai’s visit to Delhi, Mr.Mukherjee said that in spite of possessing “brilliant minds” and top technical talent, Indian universities weren’t among the top 100 in global rankings. 

Post a media event on Wednesday, where he mentioned plans to provide Wi-Fi with helium balloons and bring several railway stations under a reliable internet network, Mr. Pichai’s meeting with Mr.Mukherjee was centred around ways in which education could be made more accessible with technology.
“We can create a new India,” said Mr.Mukherjee, “by harnessing these resources (young minds) and not by mere speeches and some allocations (in the Union Budget).” 

Others present at the event included senior technocrats from the telecommunications and information technology ministries, National Association of Software and Service Companies and CEOs of e-commerce companies including Practo, Paytm and InMobi. Some of them gave presentations on the initiatives taken to promote entrepreneurship, bring more women into leading positions in companies and make education more accessible to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review

For most of the reviews here at Gadgets 360, we use the mobile in question as our primary phone for about a week or so before sharing our verdict with you. We realise this isn't perfect, since there are some aspects of the device that don't become obvious during that time, and in an ideal world, we'd use every phone for a couple of months before we publish our review. But we work under constraints where most devices aren't available to us for that long - almost all products that we review are loaned to us by companies for short durations - and there's also the competitive pressure of wanting to get your review out before others do, as long as it doesn't involve cutting any corners. With the launch of iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in India, Apple offered to loan the two new iPhones to Gadgets 360 - and indeed other publications - for more than the typical timeframe of a few days. The India iPhone launch of course came a few we...

Modern garden with upcycling plastic bottles

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have made these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies at least 20 times now. Not exaggerating. I first made these when we were in the Philippines, when it was a struggle to just keep butter solid for 2 seconds on the counter, and they were absolutely incredible. I had no idea how or why, but they just WORKED. And they blew my mind in the way only a perfect chocolate chip cookie really can. But then every once in a while, they didn’t work. I’m not always super exact with my baking, but still. They were not thick and chewy and buttery like the perfect cookie should be. Some of your comments said the same things – most of the time they worked, but sometimes they didn’t. And I don’t like that. Now I’m back home in dry, cool Minnesota and I have been waiting for this day just so I could figure out what would really make these cookies awesome for you. You who live in normal climates and shop at Cub Foods. I am now speaking your cookie-baking language. Since I’m re...