Skip to main content

Daily magnesium intake can prevent pancreatic cancer

Daily magnesium intake can prevent pancreatic cancer
Image Credit: Getty Images
Daily magnesium intake may be beneficial in preventing pancreatic cancer, researchers from Indiana University (IU) have found.

Previous studies have found that magnesium is inversely associated with the risk of diabetes, which is a risk factor of pancreatic cancer.

"But few studies have explored the direct association of magnesium with pancreatic cancer. Of those that did, their findings were inconclusive," said Daniel Dibaba, PhD student at the School of Public Health-Bloomington, who led the IU study.

Dibaba and colleagues analysed an enormous trove of data on over 66,000 men and women, aged 50 to 76, looking at the direct association between magnesium and pancreatic cancer.

Of those followed, 151 participants developed pancreatic cancer.

The study found that every 100-milligram-per-day decrease in magnesium intake was associated with a 24 percent increase in the occurrence of pancreatic cancer.

The study also found that the effects of magnesium on pancreatic cancer did not appear to be modified by age, gender or body mass index but was limited to those taking magnesium supplements either from a multivitamin or individual supplement.

"For those at a higher risk of pancreatic cancer, adding a magnesium supplement to their diet may prove beneficial in preventing this disease," Dibaba added.

People should strive to get the daily recommendations of magnesium through diet, such as dark, leafy greens or nuts, to prevent any risk of pancreatic cancer.

The study appeared in the British Journal of Cancer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review

For most of the reviews here at Gadgets 360, we use the mobile in question as our primary phone for about a week or so before sharing our verdict with you. We realise this isn't perfect, since there are some aspects of the device that don't become obvious during that time, and in an ideal world, we'd use every phone for a couple of months before we publish our review. But we work under constraints where most devices aren't available to us for that long - almost all products that we review are loaned to us by companies for short durations - and there's also the competitive pressure of wanting to get your review out before others do, as long as it doesn't involve cutting any corners. With the launch of iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in India, Apple offered to loan the two new iPhones to Gadgets 360 - and indeed other publications - for more than the typical timeframe of a few days. The India iPhone launch of course came a few we...

Modern garden with upcycling plastic bottles

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have made these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies at least 20 times now. Not exaggerating. I first made these when we were in the Philippines, when it was a struggle to just keep butter solid for 2 seconds on the counter, and they were absolutely incredible. I had no idea how or why, but they just WORKED. And they blew my mind in the way only a perfect chocolate chip cookie really can. But then every once in a while, they didn’t work. I’m not always super exact with my baking, but still. They were not thick and chewy and buttery like the perfect cookie should be. Some of your comments said the same things – most of the time they worked, but sometimes they didn’t. And I don’t like that. Now I’m back home in dry, cool Minnesota and I have been waiting for this day just so I could figure out what would really make these cookies awesome for you. You who live in normal climates and shop at Cub Foods. I am now speaking your cookie-baking language. Since I’m re...